Pages

Thursday 15 September 2011

Fashion's date with makeup - Exclusive interview with make-up artist: Anam Falak.


Undoubtedly all my fashion readers will agree with me , that no matter how fashion aware and trendy we are, to look beautiful and to rock that perfect outfit we need the help of make-up, otherwise even the most gorgeous Chanel dress will go unnoticed . Therefore fashion and beauty work hand in hand with each other. Despite being a fashion graduate, Living in London , there are times when I cant decide the perfect lip colour for my attire or which eye colours are the must-haves for a season. Just like fashion , we must update our selves with make-up products, however there is no use of the best Mac make-up palette if you can't make the right use of it, similar to how the most expensive wardrobe is a waste if you cant style yourself well.  


With so many make-up and beauty brands, beauty blogs, magazines all confusing us with which products to buy and how to apply them correctly, I feel lucky to personally know make-up diva : Anam Falak.
After being introduced with her through a friend, I was lucky to find her in London on the time of my sisters wedding.  Having her recently do mine and my 4 other sisters makeup for my sisters wedding, not only was I in love with the versatile look she gave to each of us, but her magical makeup tricks are more than a bliss to experience.  With her facebook page now pondering with queries, her discusion  page no less than a daily dose of beauty problems solved, and her over booked makeup classes from months before the dates even release, she is un disputedly the youngest makeup diva in Karachi these days. She is the all in one makeup girl that everyone in karachi is talking about these days. In her first official interview and she tells the Words of fashion blog all sorts of fun facts about herself and the art of make-up. I would like to give her a big round of applause on what a bench-mark she has set for young interpeuners in makeup and fashion in Pakistan today.
Anam Falak at a mere age of 22 is no short of experience & fans. Over 10K fans on her page,  and busy with new shoots, Here is the fun questions we all want to know about her.Although based in Karachi, Pakistan, Anam is usually traveling to London , so don't forget to catch her when shes here next for a make over:  for that special occasion or just for a new fun look. Adding some pictures of the makeup diva herself and a few images from her mak-eup shoots. for complete portfolio & contact information join: Anam Falak make-up group on facebook
Makeup Look: "Dolls of Karachi" -  by Anam Falak
Makeup Look: "Jewel toned" by: Anam Falak
Look: Summer Makeup by Anam Falak.
Makeup Artist: Anam Falak(Left) at Illamasqua training in London
1) First and foremost Besides the love of make-up what else revoloves in your mind and in your life?
Anam:  SHOPPING! I have an obsession with all forms of shopping..these days online shopping since I'm in Karachi so I can't physically go to all my favourite stores. I have too much of everything..you name it and I will most likely already be having two versions of it!  
2) What is ur secret for your success in such a short period of time?
Anam: To be honest, apart from my style of makeup being very different from the normal makeup artists in this part of the world, I think it's the fact that I am more relatable to..I use every normal girls as models instead of commercial models most of the time because I want myself to be as approachable and my work to be as practical as possible. I want girls to look at it and say 'hey, I can do this too, or this will look nice on me too because the girl its done on is not walking a ramp, shes one of us!' Also I guess its exposure be it the form of marketing online or words of mouth from friends..I am so lucky to have the most supportive encouraging friends and family ever! 
3) A brief introduction to your previous qualifications in terms of make-up? 
Anam: In terms of qualifications I have been trained from Illamasqua and London Hair and Beauty Academy (LHA). The exposure to being trained by different International makeup Artists such as Daniel Sallstrom (Illamasqua School of Makeup), David Horne (Formerly MAC Cosmetics UK Head;Artist Training & Development) and various others have lead me to develop my own distinct style of makeup that is visible in my work. However, the best training I've recieved so far has been from my own experience, where I started collecting and experimenting with makeup on my closest friends at the age of 16. . 
4) Who in the make-up and fashion industry do you look up to as your icon or idol?
Anam: Pat Mcgrath - International makeup extraordinare with no professional training who only uses her fingers to apply makeup! I do that too most of the time!  
5) The most beautiful women in the fashion and make-up industry according to you is?
Anam:  There are so many! To name a few I like,I think it has to be Nicole Richie, Tyra Banks, Claudia Schiffer...in Pakistan I think Iman Ali has such great features..and a few of my friends are stunnners!  
6) If you could pick any celebrity to do make-up on, who would it be and why?
Anam: Rihanna! I think she is just so beautiful in the most unconventional way!  
7) Give us a saucy answer. Who seriously needs a style and make-up makeover? And wears makeup pathetically? 
Anam: Dita von teese.  
8) So many make-up artist want to keep thier tricks to themselves.. why do u share them so honestly ?
Anam: Because there comes a point when you realise that giving will only gain you more -respect, appreciation, friends/fans and maybe even more knowledge in return, and nobody can become you, so what's the use of hiding something.  
9) Your favourite make-up brand? 
Anam: Tie between MAC and Illamasqua. And I can't live without Nars's blushes. 
10) What tips and tricks do you teach students in your classes? Give us a sneak peak to what you inbox to all those people asking information about your next set of makeup class ;)
Anam: There aren't any tips in my inbox message, just details and duration of my classes..I don't believe in overcharging so I keep my course fee minimal and have a complete basic to advanced course which means instead of spending on a basic makep training course separately and advanced course separately, mine is both of them combined so you won't need to go anywhere else or take another course after that! Oh and I also teach a few very different never before seen tricks...like making your own....ooops ;) you'll have to come to class to learn all these xx  
11) How important is fashion to you?  
Anam: Its something you have or not have. You can't just force it on someone or become fashionable one fine day unless you've developed it over time..because if its the previous case, then the next day you're back to being your own self..however you are. 
12) Do you follow brands? Or are you a trend setter?
 Anam: I love Alexander Mcqueen, I have so many of their clutches! and Chanel...I love their supersized jumbos and maxis!  
13) When are you in London next? 
Anam: Hoping  this October/November 11 
14) A naughty fact that your fans din't know about you?
 Anam: I have the naughtiest sense of humour which I don't hide. And I make wickedly naught desserts.  
15) Can you briefly describe this season’s make-up look? 
Anam: Bold lip colors are in, fuschias, magentas, citrus-y corals and all shades of vibrant reds..lips are more matte than glossy..and eyes are neutral but dark..think of smokey browns, beiges and blacks. Good contouring, natural shades of blush and extremely dark black liners/kohls. The conventional dark eyes pale lip theory or vice versa is so 2008! That's as far as makeup is concerned..and hair is light and highlighted and big big biggg amplified volume!  
16) One make-up product that is an absolute essential? 
Anam: Concealer.  
17) Anam falak is a makeup diva because? 
Anam: You all have made her one ;)  
18) What's the next surprise for ur makeup fans?
Anam: It won't be a surprise if I tell you! I have my new studio coming up in a few weeks..and then there's something more which you'll have to wait for but I promise you will love it 
19) Heard about your new studio. Tell us more? 
Anam: My mom was sick of my studio being inside my house because I had students and clients coming in all the time and it was killing all the privacy..so she's shifted my studio outside. It's a makeup studio primarily but by appointment I will also be offering basic hair and threading/ waxing service. Because it's not a salon but a studio, it will be very makeup oriented looking and very glam. As the number of my students are constantly increasing, I am making it such to accommodate upto 20 makeup artist's in the making with their own workspace and Hollywood mirrors. Ofcourse I want a very classy, glamourous environment but very comfortable at the same time.  
20) Go on be a mother Teresa give us some wise words or ur favourite quote? 
Anam: Treat your mum better than you treat yourself. Because if you want anything in the world, she is the one who will sort it out for you.  
21) Choose one. Love or makeup? 
 Anam: Both are linked!  
22) Crazy or sophisticated? 
Anam: Sophisticated-crazy  
23)Smokey eyes or juicy lips? 
Anam: Smokey eyes!  
hope you guys liked the first interview on my blog until my next post enjoy mixing fashion with make-up. Adiós. Sadaf R Godil x

3 comments:

  1. That's very nice interview ,,,,I truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a nice information.
    London Make Up School

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Post article for make up tips was good and as we regulary do we make up to look beautiful when got to outside for more makeup tips can link at this site.
    http://healthyandstylish.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Post i like ur post very Much Fashion has becoming now a Big Career if u want to know more about Fashion courses please visit us BEST BBA FASHION COLLEGE INDIA

    ReplyDelete